Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:56:17 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <freebsd@alm.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Christopher J. Umina" <FJU@Fritzilldo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no /bin/login?!?!

Christopher J. Umina(FJU@Fritzilldo.com)@2002.04.21 11:49:30 +0000:
> I found a few error messages on the screen, I don't know if they could mean
> anything.
>
> 6 login failures from anax.pl  and
> iroffer exited on signal 4 four times.
I guess your box is hacked.

iroffer seems to be a file server for irc, which might be used to distribute
warez (http://iroffer.org/). Unless you are running that intentionally.

The login error is probably because the cracker replaced some binaries,
like login, or telnetd, and probably others, with a trojaned one.

I suggest you backup all your *data* (not binaries), and reinstall, and
look at your configs *carefully* before you restore them. This is the only
way to be sure.

It could be hacked thru the telnetd security hole (SA 01:49 I think, see
http://www.freebsd.org/security for more info).

Alson