Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:28:39 -0500
From:      Nick Folino <nickf@ptd.net>
To:        "'FreeBSD-Stable'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Random dives out of make world

----------
From: 	John Dowdal[SMTP:jdowdal@destiny.erols.com]
Sent: 	Saturday, February 22, 1997 9:00 AM
To: 	Morgan Davis
Cc: 	stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: 	Re: Random dives out of make world

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Morgan Davis wrote:

> What might cause a system with the latest -stable sources to bomb out
> of a "make world" at random places with "internal compiler error:
> signal 11" and other such errors?  This system is a freshly installed
> 2.1.6 which has the -stable branch via cvsup.  It is lightly used,
> only for telnetting out at this point, so no other crashing.  I
> managed to get it up to 2.1.7 by continual "make all install" attempts
> until in /usr/src it finally completed.  But even after 2.1.7, I still
> get:
>
> pid 23979 (cc1), uid 0: exited on signal 11
>
> Here's a dmesg if this helps pinpoint a trouble spot I should focus
> on.  Would a kernel config file help, too?  (based on generic -- it's
> all rather vanilla).

When it dies, do you see the message "cc1 received fatal signal 11" (or a
similar message)?  If so, it is a memory/cache problem, or you may
have an overclocked or overheated CPU.

John

I've had the same problems with a fresh 2.1.7 sup....no one knows why it's happening....now I'm sure it's not my computer if others are having the same problems.  Could the 2.1.7 source be corrupted?

Nick

P.S.
I haven't been able to get it to compile at all on my Pentium 100, but it finally worked out on my Nexgen P90.