Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:33:28 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
Cc:        joe@tao.org.uk, zipzippy@sonic.net, current@freebsd.org, dnelson@allantgroup.com
Subject:   Re: What to do with witness verbiage (is this new?)?

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:01:08AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 11 Jul, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:35:46AM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> I get it whenever cron kicks of a cvsup also.
> >>=20
> >=20
> > Oh, and also when postfix sends or recives an email.
>=20
> I would expect this if you are running inetd and have its builtin ident
> service enabled.  When you are sending email and your MTA connects to a
> remote MTA, it is quite common for the remote MTA to connect to the
> ident port on your host to get more information about the user who
> initiated the connection request.

Ok, that explains that.

> The cvsup server may also be making ident queries.

If it is, it is making lots and lots of them, at a rate of around
5 or 10 a second or more when the cvsup is running.  That seems
excessive.  To test it I've just killed inetd and it's still happening
- there must be something else tickling this also.

Joe
--=20
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert
Einstein, 1921

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--