Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:05:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: overheated PIII/KATMAI in SMP system

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> Well, due the fact of changing fan and coller elements by better
> ones one fan is very close to the next SECC-2 case of CPU 1 (the
> inner one). This handicaped fan is for CPU 0, the overheated one.
> But yesterday exactly this CPU has the place of the "cooler" CPU,
> the inner one, so I think not that this could be a real heatsink
> problem.
>
> I think the problem has to be targeted either by the mainboard
> (maybe some kind of weakness in voltage regulation? But why only
> in SMP mode of the kernel and not in UP mode?). Or the CPU has
> some faults.

FreeBSD HALTs the CPU while it is idle in UP mode, which can allow it
to cool down if you are not doing anything.  If the CPU is 100%
utilized in UP mode, or if you are using SMP (even if not 100%
utilized), the CPU is not HALTed.  It isn't the operating system's
fault that the CPU is overheating, it is always due to inadequate
cooling.  You mentioned the airflow for the overheating CPU is
"handicapped", and that is most certainly the problem.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org