Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:13:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Peter.Blok@inter.NL.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com ('Terry Lambert'), gallatin@cs.duke.edu ('Andrew Gallatin'), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unaligned access

> Thanks for the hints. One big cause was the embedded alloc routines, that
> doesn't do aligning. The next buffer allocated was unaligned, because the
> previous size was unaligned. I haven't looked closely enough to the
> structures. I also had one unaligned access in a varargs construction.
> Haven't found the cause yet.

Andrew is the "big guns" when it comes to Alpha work; I'm just
someone on the sidelines.

But remember that your problem is not the fixups themselves,
but that the code does not operate in the presence of fixups,
which it should.  This implies the operational problem has
nothing to do with the fixups, and is instead related to some
other problem.  My money is still on structure packing in the
user space code; if you ensure that it isn't a problem by using
"#pragma pack(1)", then I suspect your code will work, even
though the console will still whine about unaligned access
errors.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---