Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:57:50 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, jmutter <jmutter@ds.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: New periodic.conf (was Re: SysV Style Init?)

> I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened to the periodic
> scripts when I was not looking.
[.....]
> I think I can guess the reasoning. Someone wanted to have a
> defaults/periodic.conf and periodic.conf so that minor changes to
> values in the small scripts won't be clobbered if one flies
> mergemaster on autopilot instead of merging by hand.

Have a look at periodic(8) and periodic.conf(5).  The idea behind the
whole thing is so that people can build their own /etc/periodic.conf
and drop it onto any new machine they install to get whatever they
want out of the daily/weekly/monthly runs.

They can also create their own periodic directories with their own
set of checks - in a single file or in multiple files.  They can mail
the output to several people or they can log it somewhere... they can
do lots of things.

Specifically, if you want to ``tweak'' things (you mentioned that
this has become harder to do....), you can simply disable the script
in question and put your own in /usr/local/etc/periodic/whatever.  If
you don't like the variables, don't use them.  If you think what
you're doing is sane, send-pr a patch to give other people the
opportunity to do the same thing - via a new variable.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>