Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad bug in /usr/bin/install?!

Hi all,

I just had the following happen to me in -current and it may be a bug in
/usr/bin/install (or it might be me and my Dain Bramage).  I just did the
following as myself (i.e. not as root):

/usr/bin/install -c -s -m 2755 -g kmem  xsysinfo /usr/X11R6/bin/xsysinfo

Trying to remake and install a fresh version of xsysinfo.  The command
failed as expected with an "Operation not permitted" but the pre-existing
version of xsysinfo was deleted in the process as well!!!  I am in group
wheel on my system but the pre-existing version of xsysinfo was owned by
root.kmem and the permissions on the dir /usr/X11R6/bin are 775 for
root.wheel so I guess technically I could delete any file in
/usr/X11R6/bin if I wanted to but it's rather nasty that /usr/bin/install
deletes a file before checking whether I have permission to perform the
other operations that must occur to honor my request to install a file.
Or am I just being picky??  (P.S: when I rm a file in /usr/X11R6/bin I at
least get prompted "override rw-r--r--  root/wheel for foo_bar?" )

Thanks in advance for flaming my ignorance,

Tom