Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:10:54 -0400
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Anyone using perl-5.12 and WITH_PERL_MALLOC?

I have tried it a couple of times, hearing that is increases the
performance of security/amavisd-new, but each time I tried it:

on 7.3, and 7.4 amd64, I get 'bus error'

on 7.4 I386, I get 'Segmentation fault'

Not ready (yet) to diagnose this.

but, here were build options:

---Begin OPTIONS List---
===>  The following configuration options are available for perl-5.12.4_4:
      DEBUGGING=off: Build with debugging support
      GDBM=off: Build GDBM_File extension
      PERL_MALLOC=on: Use Perl malloc
      PERL_64BITINT=on: Use 64 bit integers (on i386)
      THREADS=off: Build threaded perl
      PTHREAD=on: Build with -pthread
      MULTIPLICITY=off: Use multiplicity
      SITECUSTOMIZE=off: Run-time customization of @INC
      USE_PERL=on: Rewrite links in /usr/bin
===>  Use 'make config' to modify these settings
---End OPTIONS List---

(I noticed in the Makefile, if you have WITH_THREADS && WITH_PERL_MALLOC,
.if defined(WITH_THREADS)
#XXX .if ${ARCH} == "amd64"
#XXX IGNORE=    Threaded perl does not pass tests on ${ARCH}
#XXX .endif
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        -Dusethreads=y
PKGNAMESUFFIX=          -threaded
WITH_PTHREAD=           yes
# it seems perl malloc has problems with threaded perl on FreeBSD
.undef WITH_PERL_MALLOC

I wonder if this is true for WITH_PTHREAD (which is on by default)

anyone using it this way? with_perl_malloc?  on 7.x?

is it broken on 7.x?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell