Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:19:17 -0500
From:      Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   my slices are gone

using sysinstall on the 8.0-RELEASE ISO Disk 1, i looked at the status of
the disks and found some alarming things:

the label editor shows no labels on either disk. that seems pretty bad.

and the slice editor says:

Disk slicing warning:
chunk 'ad6p1' [40..409639] does not start on a track boundary
chunk 'ad6p2' [409640..1464784583] does not start on a track boundary

which seems pretty bad in two different ways.

would anyone disagree that freebsd-update -r 8.0-RELEASE upgrade has left
this system unusable and the only next step is reformat at reinstall (that
old windows routine)?

tom