Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:37:11 -0700
From:      henry tieman <henryt_NOSPAM@aracnet.com>
To:        Alessandro de Manzano <ale@unixmania.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange PPP negotiation problem with GPRS mobile phone

Alessandro de Manzano wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm having very strange (to me) PPP problems with a 4.8-R notebook
>trying to connect to the Internet via a GPRS mobile phone.
>
>Note: The exactly same hardware works fine with WinXP so it should work
>under FreeBSD also, I guess ;-))
>
>Situation: I'm using the following /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file (comments
>removed)

I use ppp as my usual connection method, it's slow but reliable.  My ISP
reciently (6 months ago) switched from a "UNIX" terminal server to a
"RAS" server.  So I had to revisit my ppp config reciently.  The only
major difference between your configuration file and mine are you
disabled lots of things and I set my mtu to 500.

If I were trying to get this working - I would comment out the disable
lines and set the MTU smaller. Because you are using a mobile phone you
may have to set your MTU really small, like 300.  Is there a
coresponding MRU? If there is it should also be small.

There is a posibility that mobile phones want a complete packet before
sending any data - in which case you will have to either try to make ppp
send larger packets or set the timeout values in ppp to a larger value.
And no I don't know what that timeout value is called.

I also looked through the trace... there is one thing I saw in my trace
but not yours:

Jun 30 14:33:20 eric ppp[624]: tun0: LCP: deflink: State change Req-Sent
--> Ack
-Rcvd
Jun 30 14:33:20 eric ppp[624]: tun0: LCP: deflink: RecvConfigReq(2)
state = Ack-
Rcvd

O.K. it's two lines but the trace you sent never enters Ack-Rcvd state
before the  PAP authentication. And that is probably the symptom of the
problem.

Henry

--
Henry Tieman
Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.