Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 13:44:18 +0200
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the port collection become to large to handle.

--pAwQNkOnpTn9IO2O

pauls@utdallas.edu wrote:
> I *do* think tracking downloads would be valuable, *if* there's a way to =
implement it and=20
> aggregate the data.  Knowing how many times a particular port is installe=
d might open more=20
> than a few eyes.  The problem is, you'd have to have accurate stats from =
*every* mirror and=20
> those would have to be aggregated and collated.  Not a big problem, for s=
ure, but still, more=20
> work for somebody who's already a volunteer.  But knowing how many times =
a port's distfile=20
> was fetched and how many times it was upgraded would be useful informatio=
n.

Tracking downloads is not the way to go. Bill Fenner's distsurvery is
downloading them from time to time to check availability. Several people
use the same /usr/ports/distfiles for multiple machines, skewing the
numbers further.

Registering the installation of ports/packages is not going to help
either. I might install a port, test it 5 minutes and then delete it
again. I also might install a port (eg. cvsup) which doesn't get regular
updates, so only one installation is counted, whereas I frequently
delete build-only deps (autoconf/automake) and need to reinstall them
every so often.

A possible way might be to add a periodic/weekly script, that sends
pkg_info+uname output to some FreeBSD site. Preferably via HTTP POST, so
proxies and firewalls will let the traffic pass. This needs to be opt-in
of course, as there are various security implications.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--=20
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
Don't know. Don't care.

--pAwQNkOnpTn9IO2O

--pAwQNkOnpTn9IO2O--