Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 01:57:16 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, Martin Loeffler <martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: forcing a modem to hangup

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > > Gary, those of us that know how to use breakout boxes, and have dealt
> > > with serial commercially, usually react violently against internal
> > > modems, just because they eliminate two of the most commonly used
> > > troubleshooting tools (front panel lights and breakout boxes).  If you
> > > don't know how to use them, or aren't used to these tools, I guess you
> > > might be less than understanding about the attitude, but there's a good
> > > reason behind it.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with technical
> > > experience in maintaining comm lines that would disagree.
> > >

> > Interesting, "Those of us" Implies my exclusion.
> >
> > You sure seem to know an awefull lot about something you know
> > nothing about!
>
> I don't understand why you are getting impolite about it.  I didn't exclude
> you, nor insult you.  I've worked in communications, either voice or
> data, for years, so I think I probably know _something_ about it.

Welp, I took the "Those of us" as an exclusion of me!
(As if you were stating I didn't know about or use BO)
And the "knowing about nothing" part was you NOT knowing
ANYTHING about me or what I know!

Not what *you* may or may not know about communications!
I don't know you, what you do or know and would never make an
assumption like that!
I take people at thier word untill they prove otherwise!

If I did in fact take it wrong, I am very very sorry!
I was trying _NOT_ to be impolite!

> > > There's a difference between trusting troubleshooting software, and
> > > seeing results with your eyes.
> >
> > Neither one is any good if you don't know how to use them.
>
> Well, I sure can't disagree with that.  I was explaining why many folks
> have a severe allergy towards internal modems.  Do you disagree with that?

O yes, I do agree that alot of people have thier opinions!
Mine is Internal! Thats why I made the comment to Terry!

I wish very much that I had left in a part that I started and
removed before sending!

It was something like:
	Thats a matter of opinion Terry. Depends on the usage!
	For the general user an External is a pain in the ***.
	They both have thier uses though.

> I guess I was suggesting that if you did know how to use the tools, then
> using internal modems denied them to you.

Yes, They sure do, But there is a whole other group of tools!
IMHO Simpler tools at that!

Sure I agree once you are used to something it's tough to change!
I'm sitting here trying very hard to break such a habbit!
3 _finger_typing_! :(

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848