Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:02:52 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Background process

--Apple-Mail-5--275639136
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:14 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> Failing that, if you need to preserve anything that is emitted from
> the program, nohup is probably your best bet. If it isn't going to
> spit anything out on the terminal, take a look at daemon(8), which
> you probably will want to run with the -f option.

I can't remember needing nohup to run *anything* since the ancient
days of the old old old /bin/sh which would kill all of your
processes upon logout.  Modern shells do not do this.  Just redirect
the stdin/stdout/stderr appropriately and run in bg.

The more appropriate tool, assuming the original program has no "run
as daemon" flag is the daemon(8) program as mentioned above.

--Apple-Mail-5--275639136--