Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:09:38 +0100
From:      Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, le@cs.unc.edu
Subject:   Re: Connect(2) problem

This actually sounds like a problem I hit once where the default
settings actually restrict the number of ports.

net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst: 1023
net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast: 600
net.inet.ip.portrange.first: 1024
net.inet.ip.portrange.last: 5000
net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst: 49152
net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast: 65535

specifically, portrange.first and portrange.last are set a
bit low for some applications. By default you only
get 5000-1024 ports (3976).

set net.inet.ip.portrange.last=16384 or higher to get more
ports.

- Mark