Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:40:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        "Douglas R. Spindler" <spindler@dnai.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

Thus sayeth the previous author:

 >Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:19:58 -0800
 >From: Douglas R. Spindler <spindler@dnai.com>
 >To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
 >Subject: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD
 >
 >I've been in the industry for 10 years now and have seen the light of FreeBSD.  I know a few Unix commands and know DOS very well.
 >
 >Here's my question, why do you guys make converting so difficult?
 >
 >Let me illustrate my point.
 >
 >Take a look at www.freebsd.org
 >Find the section that says, Easy to Install.
 >
 >FreeBSD can be installed from a variety of media including CD-ROM, floppy disk, magnetic tape, an MS-DOS partition, or if you have a network connection, you can install it directly over anonymous FTP or NFS. All you need is a pair of blank, 1.44MB floppies and these directions.
 >
 >Now click on "these directions"
 >
 >Sorry to be so stupid, but I can't follow the easy directions.  I can't even find what files I need to FTP.  I also am finding the floppy disk installation incomplete.
 >
 >I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.
 >
 >Thank you.

In a few words those instructions say:
  1) know your hardware and how to choose the boot device
  2) know any networking details you might be asked about
  3) choose the boot media
     a) cdrom (you can download this and burn it yourself
        and it will be bootable)
     b) floppies (you must make the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp)
  4) do any kernel configuration you need (i generally skip
     this on generic i386 hardware
  5) welcome to sysinstall

Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48