Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:40:49 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "CHARL" <croftonc@PARACHUTE.WCAPE.GOV.ZA>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installation problems

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:47:17 +0200, CHARL wrote:

>I have done a bit of more reading on my "missing kernel problem" and think
>that the problem could be that my boot.config file does not install in the
>root.
>
>Now how do I go about fixing this? Also my disk parameters are set as
>follows:
>
>- /dos  502M   (unfortunetly I have to have dos on drive aswell)
>- /         96M

I think it's because you've laid out your disk wrong.  I believe the
root partition has to fit within the first 1024 sectors, and your's
doesn't.  You have to shrink either or both of your dos partition
and/or root to fit within 504M.  This information appears in the copy
of "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, but no where in the
handbook...