Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 01:58:08 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Keith Spencer" <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: start_if.tun0 <> OK

> Hi Brian...
> I'll include my rc.conf at the end of this message...
>
> > > I followed your previous instructions to auto start ppp at boot.
> > > In rc.local the command   ppp -auto -alias ISP  works.
> > > I put this line in  /etc/start_if.tun0 instaead as suggested & it
> > > doesn't appear to work.
> > > i.e. ping xx.xx.xx.xx  doesn't initiate a dial out. Other strange
> > > effects...Have I got things set up right??... with ppp -auto ISP
> > > running
> > >  a)  ping localhost gives a blank line
> > > b)  ping xx.xx.xx.xx  gives a blank line response as well
> > > c)  ifconfig -a   reports none of the interfaces...lo0 tun0 de0 sl0
> > >     as being RUNNING  or UP   ????
> >
> > Have you got tun0 mentioned in your network_interfaces variable ?
> As you can see I have. (I think)
[.....]
> network_interfaces= "lo0 tun0 de0"		# List of network interfaces (lo0
> is loopback).
> ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"	# default loopback device
> configuration.
> ifconfig_tun0=
> ifconfig_de0="inet 203.56.180.200 netmask 255.255.255.0"
[.....]

Looks good.

If none of your interfaces are up, surely you see some messages at
boot time.  You can press "SCROLL LOCK" and PGUP to see the boot
messages that have scrolled off the top of your screen.

Of course start_if.tun0 shouldn't be doing an "exit" either.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;