Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:12:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How do you folks generate PLISTs?

Hello,

that's the question I want to ask porting gurus:

has anyone some kind of "technology" or hints of how to
automate PLIST file creation? (I'm new to the mtree utility,
I suspect that it might help, but don't have some creative idea
on "howto"). You all know, of course -- some _big_ piece of code,
a bunch of executables/manpages/configfiles... how to fight this?

RTFM was done (a handbook chapter on porting). No ideas or suggestions
(maybe should have some?)  Same with bsd.port.mk.

Maybe:
	a. Before an install create an mtree listing of
	   a target dir. tree (how?)
	b. Install;
	c. Use mtree again to find differences just introduced;
	d. Create a PLIST from them.

But I can't develop the exact procedure just now myself (lack of
experience with mtree). And that may be rather LONG process for
a filled /usr/local, for example.

Or simply go hack a PLIST from the 'install*' targets of the orig. Makefile?
That's the risk to miss something.

Thanks in advanse!

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.