Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 2009 22:14:01 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Mattia Rossi" <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vlc services discovery (SAP) panics kernel

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:07:31 -0500, Mattia Rossi <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
wrote:

> I've tried to use vlc 1.0.0 (goldeneye) - it was also happening with
> previous versions.
> Every time I try SAP service discovery the system freezes.
>
> Trying on the command line gave me a Fatal error 12 message, page fault
> while in kernel mode.
>
> I've tried to reinstall all ports related to vlc (using portmaster), no
> changes.
>
> Wanted to reinstall all ports from scratch, but as kdelibs3 still
> doesn't have the latest working libusb2 patch included and kdegraphics4
> pulls in sane-backends which does not compile because of libusb2, I
> actually can't rebuild my system without patching around and stuff -
> which sucks.

The kdebase3 (you need to make sure you have latest -CURRENT) should be
fixed that was committed a few days ago. As for the sane-backends, I have
disabled USB support by default in -CURRENT for us can install KDE3 or
KDE4 (don't remember). I agree with you about that broke libusb2 is quiet
annoy, but we will get there.

Cheers,
Mezz

--