Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:02:58 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libtool help needed

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 09:00:42AM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 06:47:12PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I'm trying to port libuta (http://libuta.sourceforge.net), but I'm running
> > into a problem with (I think) libtool.
> >
> > I've got it to build just fine, but the .so file created is:
> >
> > [stijn@firsa] <~/src/ports/libuta> find . -name '*\.so\.*'
> > ./work/libuta-0.3.35/uta/.libs/libuta-0.3.so.35
> >
> > I'm actually not very happy with a .so.35, as you can assume. And I'm certainly
> > not very happy when 0.4.1 gets released :(
> >
> > However, I'm not familiar enough with libtool to determine the place where
> > I can fix this. What should I patch to get a .so.0 (or so.1 or something
> > like that)?
> >
> > Note that I did use USE_LIBTOOL=yes in my Makefile...
>
> You should be able to find out where "-version-info" is called in one of
> the Makefiles and do a perl regex to fix it.  But, I think it's better
> just to let the vendor decide on the shlib version number, unless they
> use a.out style (libame.so.X.Y for example).  It's too much of a hassle
> to bother with the regex.  Just autogen the pkg-plist and do the usual
> sorting routine, update the dependency Makefiles when they bump the
> shlib version number.  You could also request to them personally that
> they use a smarter version number management system (i.e. start at 0 and
> only bump when binary incompatible changes occur).

I, too, was going to suggest that there's actually no need to be unhappy
with a .35 lib; it's up to the vendor to handle upgrades, and if they
don't, well, you're free to change the version scheme of your port anytime
in the future.  But there's no reason to do it *before* the vendor has
messed up :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.