Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 10:24:07 -0400
From:      Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
To:        Renaud Waldura <renaud@evolunet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP dropping IPSec packets?

> I try to ping the remote end of the encrypted link, but the packets
> never make it back to me. They do flow from tun1 to tun0 to eth0
> to the telco router to ... to the remote site, _which_replies_
> to my ICMP echo, but for some reason PPP drops the IPSec packets,
> they never come back up to neither tun0 (tunnel interface opened
> by ppp), nor to tun1 (tunnel opened by pipsecd).
>
> But they *do* make it back to the Ethernet interface, they're
> just not transmitted back to the tunnel tun0.

I had the *exact* same problem.

You dont mention whether or not you are using NAT on your gateway box. I
noticed that when I turned off ppp's NAT facility that the pipsecd tunnel
automagically started to work.

I havent had the chance to delve any further, but it would appear that either
ppp or libalias has some problems trying to map ESP packets.

josh

--
"Just because we know the value of G won't make better cell phones"
                                                            -- Jens Gundlach