Date:      Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:59:57 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   squid bind to port 80 fails when started via squid.sh script

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE/squid-2.5.9_3

If I start squid via the script (as root), I get:

/var/log/squid_cache.log:

commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 11 to *:80: (13) Permission denied
FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.

However, starting it as:

# /usr/local/sbin/squid -D

appears to be working (starting) fine.

Could this be a bug with the squid script or executable or have I missed
something? In squid.conf all settings are at install defaults except
for:
http_port 80
cache_dir ufs /var/squid/cache 100 16 256
cache_access_log /var/log/squid_access.log
cache_log /var/log/squid_cache.log
cache_store_log /var/log/squid_store.log
pid_filename /var/run/squid.pid
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 81

Thanks,