Date:      Sat, 06 Jun 1998 01:49:13 -0700
From:      Manfred Antar <mantar@netcom.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New SMP perf/quality snapshot (Update)

At 02:30 AM 6/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>John S. Dyson said:
>> I have placed a new SMP quality/performance snapshot on:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/~dyson/sysjun05.diff.gz
>>
>> If this works out, it will be the basis for alot of bugfixes
>> in -current, related to both SMP and UP problems.  Note that
>> this code has been tested only on a P6 machine, in both
>> UP and SMP mode.  The P5 codepaths are slightly different, and
>> might have a bug or two.  If this appears to work okay, I'll
>> ready the (P5 and earlier) codepaths, and move forward with it.
>>

>New file:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/~dyson/sysjun06.diff.gz
>
>Bugfixes, improvement of zero idle loop, disable PPro zero
>optimizations for now (looks like algorithmic bug of some
>kind.)
>
>--
John I just tried this on a Intel PR440FX dual 180 ppro.
The system locks up just after login:
I can't get into debugger, the machine is frozen.
I have xdm running. could it be that when the Xserver is about to start
it locks up the machine ?
The video card is a matrox millennium w/4mb vram.
That's the only card plugged into the system.
There is one seagate 4gig drive running off the embedded aic7880.
Should I do a make world with the new files before building a kernel ?
Manfred