Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:17:03 -0400
From:      "Michael P. Deslippe" <tensbum@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Next Problem

>panic:  can't mount root
>	rebooting in 15 seconds
>
>and I get an endless loop of reboots.

Well, for those of you who have had similar problems (a search of old
messages indicates that's quite a number) - here's the definitive answer
for at least one permutation of this problem.

When there is more than one drive on the system, each drive has a system
bios number (either 0 or 1).  Similarly, each IDE adapter has the ability
to have a master and a slave, each having a distinct number (0, 1, 2 or 3
when two IDE devices are used).

The ROOT mounting command requires identifying both the BIOS number and the
IDE number in the BOOT MOUNT command.  When you have a bare-bones dedicated
system, the defaults pretty much cover it.  When you scrounge one together
as a part-time system, a little more configuration is required.

at BOOT:  enter the appropriate command as follows:

	1:wd(2,a)/kernel
       |    |
       |    +------------------this is the IDE DEVICE number
This is the Drive BIOS number

Since I have a second IDE drive, the BIOS default of 0 (zero) wouldn't
work, I needed a 1 (one).  Since my second drive was not a slave (my ATAPI
CD-ROM requires it be a slave on the first IDE device), it became the third
device and required a 2(two).

If this info is in the documentation, it's in a place where you can't see
it until after it's installed.  I'd recommend it be added to the install
document that's readily available on the server (but since a bazillion
folks have managed before me, it's probably not necessary).

In any event, I'm up and running - cheers until the next speed bump!

                If God's your co-pilot, switch seats!
Michael P. Deslippe    | People who can view their environment and not
The Christian Advisor  | see intelligent design, can't be regarded
Galloway, Ohio         | intelligently!
              God will not forgive your sins in Heaven,
              for He already forgave them at the cross!