Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:52:00 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS performance benchmarks?

Viren R. Shah wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are NFS performance benchmarks available?
> If not, what would be a good series of tests to run to compare
> relative NFS performance (FreeBSD NFS server vs. Solaris NFS server)?
> [I looked in /usr/ports/benchmarks, but there isn't anything NFS
> specific -- it all seems to be either network or CPU benchmarking]

Are you the Viren Shah of NCWorld Magazine?

I don't find any explicit NFS performance benchmarks, but have you
tried running iozone or bonnie on an NFS mount?

My standard test has always been to 'make world' on something relatively
large and compare the times to local disk I/O.  The FreeBSD kernel used
to be suitable for this, but on this system it takes about 3 minutes to
build.  I generally recommend something with 10-minute or greater
build times, so differences will be large enough to really notice.

At one previous employer, where we used HP workstations to develop
embedded code, we added a couple of Pentium laptops running FreeBSD
to make a portable work environment for engineers going to customer
sites.  My partner Phil and I were highly amused, and the rest of
the engineers quite astonished, to learn the laptops compiled our
600,000 lines of C/C++ code faster than our $18,000 HP workstations.
These were Gateway Solo 5s with Pentium 133s, versus HP 9000/712
model 100s, both using local disk to compile and link.

FreeBSD: the power to COMPILE!  ;^)