Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:00:31 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <56059.931624857@axl.noc.iafrica.com> Sheldon Hearn writes:
> : If you do end up messing with inetd's existing ident service, please
> : make sure that the default behaviour remains the same and that the
> : operator must do something to enable an ident service that reports more
> : than just "UNKNOWN-ERROR".
>
> Yes.  I'd love to replace my perl script:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
> ($a, $b) = split(/[,\n\r ]+/,<>);
> print "$a , $b : USERID : UNIX : Warm-Fuzzy\r\n";
>
> with something a little less heavy-weight.

Come on guys!  identd is one of those topics that also comes under the
banner of "religion", and no one solution works for everyone.  It is often
abused, has too much credibility placed on it at times that it is really
meaningless, and it *does* have legitimate uses.  It all depends on the
circumstances.

I just wish that the inetd builtins could take arguments to allow selection
of behavior according to what the the person using needs or wants. (ie:
real, fake, "unknown error", "piss off", etc results).

I also like pidentd's DES encrypted cookie as it is a nice solution to the
forgery problem.  (I actually had this happen once, a long time ago).

Cheers,
-Peter