Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:42:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog-ng

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Suppose you have 2 or 3 Cisco routers with just 1 syslog server...how do you
> separate the logs???

This is why I use different "local" facilities.  router1 in my example has
local6 and switch1 has local5.  Then syslogd puts local6.* in
/var/log/cisco and local5.* in /var/log/switch .  This essentialy gives
you a maximum of 6 seperate log files.  If you need more than 6 you would
have to use syslog-ng.  Or you can have multiple devices to log to one
file, in which case you would just configure the cisco's to log to the
same host/facility.