Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:03:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation: acd0a is not a cooked ioctl CDROM

joe <joe@dubium.com> wrote:
 > On October 8, 2002 02:11 am, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> wrote:
 > >  > I am in the process of ripping a large CD collection. Fidelity is
 > >  > paramount. By all accounts, the ripper of choice for audiophiles
 > >  > is cdparanoia.
 > >
 > > dagrab has worked fine for me for IDE drives.  It's in the
 > > ports collection.  (For SCSI drives I prefer tosha.)
 >
 > Whereas my experience has been that cdparanoia is vastly superior to any
 > of the other tools!

In what way superior?

dagrab "just works".  I use it a lot with my notebook's
DVD-ROM drive.  It makes 100% exact copies of audio CDs.
That is, when I read a CD multiple times, the MD5 values
of the tracks are the same (and they're also the same
when read with the Plextor SCSI drive in my server box),
so they're certainly exact digital copies.
What else could I ask for?  :-)

Regards
   Oliver