Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:14:17 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Selective install 4.3 cvsup

Greetings,

When updating a 4.2-Release to a 4.3-Release on an x86 Pentium III system via
cvsup,
how do I control subsystem installation for kerberos and UUCP.
This system is used only as a firewall, with no kerberos functions needed.

From /usr/src created by cvsup

# cd /usr/src
# make -DNOPROFILE=true -DNOGAMES=true buildworld
# make -DNOPROFILE=true -DNOGAMES=true buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# make -DNOPROFILE=true -DNOGAMES=true installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# shutdown now

in single user mode

# cd /usr/src
# make -DNOPROFILE=true -DNOGAMES=true installworld
# mergemaster -v
# shutdown -r now

This has been working fine for me "Thanks FreeBSD Team!".

Now I would like to learn how to optimize my installs from cvsup source.

If I copy /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and uncomment these lines:
NOGAMES=       true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
NOPROFILE=     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries

Can my make commands from examples above become:
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
with the same results ?

/etc/make.conf also contains these lines:

# Kerberos IV
#MAKE_KERBEROS4=        yes
# Kerberos 5
#MAKE_KERBEROS5=        yes

If I do not uncomment these lines will the make installworld command
not install kerberos by default ?

Can I then locate the kerberos related files and delete them because
I installed them with my original 4.2-release install from CD-ROM ?

More questions :)

In /etc/make.conf

#CFLAGS= -O -pipe
#CPUTYPE=i686
#NO_CPU_CFLAGS= true    # Don't add -march=<cpu> to CFLAGS automatically
#NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true  # Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically

From the docs it appears that I should uncomment "#CFLAGS= -O -pipe"
What about the other 3 options listed above ?

Again this is a Pentium III processor.

If it was a Pentium based system would I change the option
"CPUTYPE=i686" to "CPUTYPE=i586" in the /etc/make.conf file ?

I am assuming that this option optimizes base code for the O.S.
like the kernel option "cpu   I686_CPU" does for the kernel,
Is my assumption correct ?

Regarding UUCP:

In /etc/make.conf

#NOUUCP=        true    # do not build uucp related programs

Is uncommenting this option O.K. for this type of system ?

I think I do not use any UUCP functions, this system would connect to the
Internet via an external Cisco 678 DSL router.

If removing UUCP support is O.K. for a DSL firewall system, after updating
and rebooting can I modify/delete the UUCP related executables and devices,
 example follows:

chown root.wheel for these files:
/dev/cuaa0
/dev/cuaia0
/dev/cuala0
/dev/cuaa1
/dev/cuaia1
/dev/cuala1
/dev/cuaa2
/dev/cuaia2
/dev/cuala2
/dev/cuaa3
/dev/cuaia3
/dev/cuala3
/dev/umodem0
/usr/bin/cu

rm these files:
/usr/bin/uucp
/usr/bin/uuname
/usr/bin/uustat
/usr/bin/uux
/usr/bin/tip
/usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
/usr/libexec/uucp/uuxqt

I have read "man make.conf" and "man make".

This is a long post with many questions, so partial answers,
pointers to more information, and off-list correspondence
are all appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com    yes this is a valid email address.