Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:49:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Serge <serge@nettec.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help: login problem

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Serge wrote:

> Dear Sirs
>
> Please help: after re-installing FreeBSD 2.2.1 from scratch (using ftp2
> server in the UK) I got the following problem:
> Login: (I typed in "root")
> the next line was
> Password: (whatever I typed in, it did not let me in, I was just
> getting messages "Incorrect password" etc).
>
> Before that I installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 from the same ftp2/UK server
> on the same generic PC machine, and everything was just fine!

Why you messed up yuor password I do not know. The solution is:

Boot and type
	-s
at the boot prompt. This will open single user mode and start sh without
having you enter a password. Then use vipw to delete the root password.
You will have to "mount /usr" because vipw is in /usr/sbin. This will be
uncomfortable, since there will be no local keyboard layout (if you need
one) nor any PATH etc. set. But once you're through it, reboot, enter root
(it won't even ask for a password, I remember) and use passwd to set a new
passwd

That should do it

c u Jo