Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:46:31 +1000
From:      steve <steve@inserted.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Errors during 4.3 install.

Hi,

When I'm trying to install 4.3-rel onto a notebook with the 815EM chipset, I get
the following:

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc01abb6b
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc0351ecc
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0351eec
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask 		= bio
trap number		= 18
panic: integer divide fault

It then reboots.
This first occured after the machine had booted, at a prompt asking if I
wanted to use a PC CARD device to install from. Next boot, it went past
there fine. This time, it failed whilst extracting into /bin. The third
time it also happened whilst extracting files into /bin, but went a lot
further. I tried remastering the cd, but the same problem occured, at the
same place, and twice writing the file system to the disk.
The mailing lists show a few occurences of "integer divide fault," but
these seem to revolve around scsi devices. I couldn't find anything about
trap number 18, only 12 which seemed to be completly unrelated.
I'm able to install 4.0-rel on this machine without a hassle, but 4.3 chokes.
Is this a known issue that my searching has missed? Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen