Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:18:43 -0400
From:      Gene W Homicki <gwh@spiders.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: Fonts for the JDK?

 +---
 | > After a tip from Donovan Rebbechi I looked up Microsoft's typography web
 | > site. They offer truetype fonts for free download.
 | >
 | > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm
 | >
 | > I'm curious if it would be all-right to distribute these fonts with our JDK
 | > port.
 |
 | What's the license for them?
 +---

There is a FAQ about it at:

 http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq8.htm

and the full EULA (End User License Agreement) can be found at:

 http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm

It looks like they can only be distributed in .exe (DOS/MS Windoze
executable) or .sit.hqx (BinHex'ed Stuffit file, usually found on Mac's)
format "with the original filename".

Some official entity would also need to register the fact that they will
be put up for download.  The registration form can be found at:

 http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/register.htm

The main restrictions I see in the EULA on redistribution:

  Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and
  distribute an unlimited number of copies of  the SOFTWARE
  PRODUCT; provided that each copy shall be a true and complete
  copy, including all copyright and trademark notices, and shall be
  accompanied by a copy of this EULA. Copies of the SOFTWARE
  PRODUCT may not be distributed for profit either on a stand alone
  basis or included as part of your own product.

Lastly, these fonts are meant to be used on Web sites/with browsers.  I
could see Microsoft closing this "loophole" in future distributions of
the fonts if they saw others distributing them...especially as part of
something like say, Java.  But more font are always nice.

Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/