Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:35:57 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   install FreeBSS 6 from an existing filesystem?

Hmm,
I think I am missing something here.
Trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 (yeah, release, but will upgrade to
-stable once I get it installed) on this old laptop (HP OmniBook
5500CT), which has no CD-ROM drive, and no usb. On top of that, the
floppies of 6.0-RELEASE don't detect the PC cards properly, so my
network card doesn't work. The laptop has a FreeBSD-4.11 install on
slice 1 of the disk, and the other half is free for my 6.0 installation.
No spare place for a msdos partition.

Fine, I'll try to install from an existing filesystem then. In 4.11, I
download the distributions to a directory on /usr (/usr/fbsd6), which is
the /dev/ad0s1g partition.
After that I boot the 6.0 installation floppies, and try to install.

When I get to the "select media" stage, I select "install from an
existing filesystem" (or something like that), but it only asks me for a
path.  Do I have to mount my filesystem manually first?

Isn't that a bit user unfriendly at this stage?
--
Yours,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,