Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:55:52 -0700
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>, peter@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installworld breaks my FreeBSD/powerpc system!!!

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 12:35 PM, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
>> It seems that installworld from yesterday sources severely corrupted
>> my 7-CURRENT FreeBSD/ppc installation. :(
>>
>> I believe this is caused by the recent libc changes that go together
>> with dynamic linker changes, but since dynamic linker is installed
>> *after* libc in installworld process, one who does source upgrade ends
>> up with broken system containing old dynamic linker, while new libc
>> after installworld explodes! :(((
>
> I think it's a mmap(2) problem, rather than a libc/ld-elf problem. I
> suspect
> that the peter@'s change to not align arguments is causing the problem.
> It's
> difficult to analyze because I don't trust the output of truss and ktrace
> anymore in this case: the file offset argument is garbage according to
> those
> tools. The file offset is garbage on all platforms, not just PowerPC :-/
>
> Other signs of mmap problems: dhclient complaining about a corrupted lease
> file and rpc.statd complaining about an invalid database file...
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have the time to look into it right now.

Yes, looks like you are right. I've booted into single-user and copied
both libc.so.7 and ld-elf.so.1 by hand and everything works now. I think
that the problem happens when install(8) invokes strip(1) to get rid of
debug symbols and strip(1) uses mmap(), which messes up the library.

This has to be resolved ASAP.

-Maxim