Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:04:21 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Brian Fabien" <fabien@u.washington.edu>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: System memory

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:37:57 -0700 (PDT), Brian Fabien wrote:

>Is there a way to specify how much memory the kernel uses at boot time.
>Especially during installation.  I know that Linux has something like
>
>mem=whatever
>
>boot time option.
>
>This is useful in checking for bad memory.  I am getting segment faults
>(core dumps) when installing FreeBSD 2.2.7. (I think its the memory.)

Yes, when you get the boot: prompt, type "-c" to get to the
configurator.  At the config> prompt, type iosize npx0 32768 or
whatever size you want, expressed in KB.  Then "quit" the configurator
to continue the boot.  This change won't take effect until the NEXT
reboot, not this one.  Also, try the following config commands while
you're in there; "help" and "ls".

This might not help you if you can't even boot the floppy GENERIC
kernel.  You may need someone to build you a custom kernel to put on
your boot floppy.  Or just physically remove some memory...