Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:39:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Jos Vissers <Jos.Vissers@telebyte.nl>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does arp not work when ip-alias installed

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Jos Vissers wrote:

> It did some further testing and it only appears to happen
> when I add an ip-alias in another class-c network.
> I used "ifconfig alias 193.67.242.20 netmask 0xffffff00" and
> the machine's regular ip address is 194.235.214.65
>
> When I remove the alias again it refuses to start working.
>
> The problem doesn't occurr when I define aliases in the same
> class-c with - of course - a netmask of 0xffffffff.
>
> Is this my error? Should I use 2 different ethernet cards
> when using different class-c addresses on one machine?
> Another of our servers with 2 cards doesn't have this problem.

I put my class C of aliases onto lo0.  I have only a single IP address on
ed0.  How have you allocated your aliases and how do you send traffic to
them.

I have on www:
ifconfig ed0 203.2.135.50
ifconfig lo0 203.8.13.1 alias
ifconfig lo0 203.8.13.254 alias

And on the routers around the equivalent of:

route add 203.8.13.0 203.2.135.50

See if that helps.

Danny