Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:26:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Cc:        rmacklem@FreeBSD.org, dfr@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nmap UDP scan against 8.0-CURRENT -> fatal trap 12

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Thomas Backman wrote:

> I'll be honest and say that FreeBSD doesn't feel very stable for me... Yeah,
> sure, I use experimental features which causes many of my panics (like ZFS)
> and run -CURRENT, but will really all issues like this one be fixed in time
> for 8.0-RELEASE? It's pretty ugly that I can panic it via the network every
> try, in literally 2-3 seconds.

Looks like a bug in the NFS server socket/RPC code, which has been revised in
8.0.  CC'ing Doug and Rick whose hands were in this (see the original post for
stack trace, etc).  FYI, there's already at least one bug fix along these
lines in the re@ queue pending the 8 branch being completed so that it can be
merged -- not sure if it's for the same bug or not.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge