Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:41:51 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "'Steve M'" <slavik944@metconnect.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD vs linux (some venting)

Part of that was partly tongue-in-cheek, partly flame bait, I'll
admit.  I was trying to make a point with a bit of humor that
his definition of sufficient documentation was what you might call
extremely high.  Most UNIX's are documented these days with books
aimed at specific programs anyway.  The situation is similar with
the Microsoft products, though, because once again the books out
there mostly cover different Windows applications, or the Windows UI,
not the internals or good admining on Windows.

>> If you took someone who has never seen, never touched a computer
>> before and sat them in front of a FreeBSD system, I wager it would
>> take just as long to train them to use it as to train them to
>> use Windows.  MS's way only seems easier because you learned it
>> first.
>
>Indeed.  That's my problem with your book :-)  You assume that people
>already know Microsoft.

I make the assumption in my book that due to various political and religious
preferences by CEO's and such that all think they know how to run an IT
department better than the IT manager, that the question of using Microsoft
on the desktop is a non-issue.  It's going to be rammed down your throat
whether you like it or not, along with Office and all their other creepy
programs.  Fortunately, those bigots that insist on Windows on the desktop
generally don't know or care what the back end server OS is, which is where
the IT manager has some discretion.  So, if your going to be the IT manager
of most organizations, your opportunity to use FreeBSD is going to start
with the servers.  Since you need to work your way up to being the admin,
your going to have to start by learning Windows on the desktop.

Ultimately it comes down to a credibility issue.  UNIX people think nothing
of giving no credibility to the Windows bigots because the Windows bigots
don't understand or know UNIX.  But, when roles are reversed, the UNIX
bigots don't understand why the Windows bigots don't give them any
credibility.

If you make a conscious decision to be a UNIX bigot, as I did, no Windows
bigot is ever going to give you any credibility when you advocate FreeBSD or
other UNIX, unless you know Windows better than they do.  You can be a PhD
making $250K a year working for Sun, who has a history in UNIX going back 30
years, and a pedegree as long as my arm, but if you don't understand how to
administer a Windows network, or how to load Windows, then none of that is
going to matter to the average business owner that has been raised on a
Microsoft diet.  The second it becomes obvious that you don't know Microsoft
OS then they are going to stop listening.