Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:23:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Rink Springer" <rink@springer.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need some help developing my ethernet driver.

In message <000f01c02c89$089ca840$3400000a@springer.cx> "Rink Springer" writes:
: Hi,
:
: I am currently working on a driver for the D-Link DE620 Parallel Ethernet
: card driver. I used the if_el.c code as a base, for it appears to be a
: relatively easy driver (my driver is called dl0 BTW, for D-Link. Anyknow
: know if this conflicts somewhere?).

I don't think there's a dl driver currently.

: Anyhow, the problem is: I've gotten FreeBSD to recognize a 'device dl0 at
: isa? port 0x378 irq 7' line in the kernel. It happily compiles my source
: file and links the kernel.
: But, for some reason, the new kernel never probes for the driver! Can anyone
: tell me what I might have missed? In order to add the driver, I've added

Likely because all parallel port access should go throught the ppbus
driver.  That's likely the reason that you aren't seeing the probe.

Warner