Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:50:58 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ng_pppoe: session in wrong state

--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI

Hi!

Yesterday, I started having problems with my ADSL PPPoE connection. My
connection would be slow for about 20 minutes then just timeout. When
ppp tries to connect again, the kernel says:

/kernel: session in wrong state

I search the mailing lists and found a message with a similar problem
but no solution.

ppp just goes through the procedure as if the server wasn't there:

Mar 11 18:24:11 xxxx ppp[2309]: tun0: Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Mar 11 18:24:16 xxxx ppp[2309]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!

I found that the message is sent from ng_pppoe.c:1084:

                                /*
                                 * Check the session is in the right state.
                                 * It needs to be in PPPOE_SINIT.
                                 */
                                sp =3D sendhook->private;
                                if (sp->state !=3D PPPOE_SINIT) {
                                        printf("session in wrong state\n");
                                        LEAVE(ENETUNREACH);
                                }

This doesn't seem to be a new commit, so I think it might be related
to my setup here.

I am able to reconnect by power-cycling the modem. The disconnect
sometimes occurs with a:

Mar 11 18:21:10 xxxx ppp[2253]: tun0: Phase: deflink: ** Too many LQR packe=
ts lost **
Mar 11 18:21:10 xxxx ppp[2253]: tun0: CCP: deflink: State change Stopped --=
> Closed

so I thought of disabling the LQR. I have yet to see an effect.

Here is my ppp.conf:

default:
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)

 # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuaa0 =3D COM1, cuaa1 =3D COM2)
 #
 set device /dev/cuaa2

 set log Chat CCP command IPCP tun Phase=20
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 enable dns
 set server /var/run/tun "" 0177

pppoe:
 set device PPPoE:ep0
 set mru 1492
 set mtu 1492
 set authname xxxxxxxx
 set authkey xxxxxxxx
 set cd 5
 disable lqr
 set dial
 set login
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route
 disable dns                            # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

I have just upgraded this machine to 4.8-RC, and I have the same
results. The OS before was 4.6-STABLE.

A.

--=20
There has been only one Christian.
They caught him and crucified him -- early.
                        - Mark Twain

--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI

--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI--