Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 21:26:25 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gripe of the week (tm) :-)

> I am in rather strong agreement with Mark on this one.  It is rather
> painfull for those of us who follow the XFree alpha/beta/release cycle
> and blow away our /usr/X11R6 often to have to go back and rebuild
> all this stuff.
>
> Or rembering which ports install into /usr/X11R6 and overriding this
> with a PREFIX=/usr/local.  I know I loose stuff every time I upgarde
> XFree86 :-(.

I am confused about how this works. (The PREFIX thingy.) I've grepped
around /usr/X11R6/Lib/X11 and some of the X-ports makefiles, and I am
badly confused now. (Too much work also!!).

There is no mention of PREFIX in any of the {M}{Im}akefiles of the
following ports: xv, xearth, ghostview, xdvi. There is also no mention
of PREFIX in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/*. Has this ever worked, is is it
something else I can bang on?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200