Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:34:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

> I doubt your tape drive is disipating 15 Watts!

Your right!  It *claims* to dissipate:
	22W steady state
	33W maximum
:>

> that's 3 AMPS at 5V

Actually:
	2.5A @ 5VDC (steady state)
	0.8A @ 12VDC (steady state)
And:
	3.0A @ 5VDC (max)
	1.5A @ 12VDC (max)

Wanna rephrase that?  :>

> actually some of these drives seem to run quite a bit mor ethan 15 watts.
>
> believe me these drives get HOT as in
>
> *touch* "OUCH!"

I'm not disagreeing.  Rather, I'm just noting published specs on drives
and trying to infer their thermal characteristics in a manner comparable
to other equipment I have in similar enclosures.  'Cuda claims to be about
13W.  Some of the Hawks appear to be ~9W.  The MC1991 claims to be 30W!
(comparing apples and orangatans!)