Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 1997 05:07:42 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        nance@login.co.kr
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed Asian distribution

> I am president of Internet Broadcast Systems, Inc., and I work with John
> Sokol, one of the original authors of 386BSD, and an avid devotee of
> FreeBSD.  We have discussed with a few Asian magazines the possibilty of
> them pressing 30,000 or more copies of FreeBDS for free inclusion with
> their regular magazines.  They would be distributing the copies entirely
> for free.

Sounds fine to us.  Please see http://www.freebsd.org/publish.html#magazines
for a list of other magazines which have done similar FreeBSD cover CDs.

> John and I were looking at FreeBSD 2.2.2, and we noticed that it is now
> copyrighted, implying that it is no longer public domain.  What

Actually, it was never really in the public domain in the strictest
sense of that term.  It's always been copyrighted but with a flexible
redistribution policy which allowed people the full right to
distribute it in other ways, such as what you're proposing, with no
restrictions or royalties.  We would be more than happy to see you do
this!

The only request I would like to make is that you start with a more
recent release, that being FreeBSD 2.2.5 which is now available on our
FTP site and shipping from Walnut Creek CDROM.  If you would be so
kind as to provide me with a mailing address, I'd also be happy to
send you a copy of the Walnut Creek CD distribution for study and/or
copying.

					Jordan