Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 21:52:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mbendiks@eunet.no (Marius Bendiksen)
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI, XFS and OSS?

> > Another good test of speed was "rm -rf /usr/ports". The O2 could do it
> > so fast it was frightening.
>
> This should take seconds, at most, with softupdates?

No.  This is a result of a bredth-first algorithm interacting
with a depth first algorithm.

The way the ports are created is antithetical to the way rm -r
walks the tree.

Basically, the prots collection is created incorrectly, and needs
to be ficed.  This has been discussed before, ad nausium, with
no one with commit privileges doing anything but damaging the
performance of the generic FFS to try to (unsuccessfully)
optimize this particular corner case.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---