Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:36:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source code layout?

> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > > Ok, we've got sys/pci for PCI devices which as near as I can tell is
> > > fairly i386 specific
> >
> > Is that true?  But, AFAIK, all the Alpha machines I've found have PCI in
> > them also.  I don't know enough to be really sure, but I'm skeptical of
> > that claim.  It might be that the pci stuff is currently i386 specific
> > only because out alpha port hasn't gone far enough.
>
> AFAIK anywhere you see inb/outb/inw/outw you're fairly certain to be i386
> specific.  (This from listening to the netbsd lits.)

That's correct.  However the use of in*/out* in sys/pci is a
consequence of our lack of bus space support (to use the NetBSD term).
We seem to have a general consensus that this is the right way to go
about it, and part of the CAM work involves supplying infrastructure
for this.

> We've got sys/i386/scsi with very little in it, no sys/i386/net and a lot
> of junk in sys/i386/isa/ic which should be in sys/ic or sys/dev/ic or
> something.

There should be *less* architecture-related code, not more.  There is
almost nothing that I can think of that should be in i386/net.

In your specific case, you have a card architecture that can be
accessed via several different busses.  The general technique for
dealing with this is exemplified in many drivers - the bulk of the
driver lives in the source file associated with one of the busses
(often isa), and the glue for other busses is moved accordingly.

There has been some resistance to the use of sys/dev for the parking of
general drivers, but IMHO if people were to start using more
descriptive names there, it would be more suitable than anywhere else
for bus- and architecture-neutral driver source.

> I suppose I should steel myself and just ignore all of this as I've no
> time to task against doing anything towards resolving my complaints.

Unless you're willing to take on the enormous work involved in
reorganising, and fight the battles over losing the CVS history, yes,
there are better things to do.  8)