Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:53:26 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Problem (2.2.5-RELEASE on second IDE master)

Previous system:
  AMD-486DX4/100, 640MB IDE Primary Master, SCSI-CD-ROM, 20MB DOS primary
  partition, FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE installed on second partition, BootEasy
  used to switch between DOS and FreeBSD

New hardware:
  2.1GB IDE Secondary Master (not yet configured)

I try to install FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE onto this disk, ending with an
error. here's how:

1) fdisk in dos to make sure there are NO partitions on the new disk
2) running install.bat from the view utility off the 2.2.5 CD-ROM
   Configuring the kernel according to my hardware:
     Floppy disk controller             fdc0    6  0x3f0
     IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller       wdc0   14  0x1f0
     IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller       wdc1   15  0x170
     NE1000,NE2000,.. Ethernet adapters ed1     5  0x300
     Parallel Printer Port              lpt0    7
     8250/16450/16550 Serial port       sio0    4  0x3f8
     8250/16450/16550 Serial port       sio1    3  0x2f8
     Syscons console driver             sc0     1  0x60

   A NCR/Symbios 53C810 SCSI controller is autoconfigured on the PCI bus.
   The SCSI-CD-ROM works without a hiccup.
   No other devices are configured into the GENERIC kernel.
   Saved the kernel config, then proceeded with installation.
3) Select <3 keymap> from the main installation menu
3.1) Switched to german CP850 keymap - it's the keyboard I'm sitting at.
4) Select <4 Options> from the mein installation menu
4.1) Set installation media type to CDROM
5) Select <5 Novice> installation
6) selected
     [ ] wd0 wd0
     [*] wd2 wd2
   (the new disk) as destination.
7) Dedicated the whole new disk to FreeBSD typing "A" but
8) Did not sacrifice he true partition entry by answering "no" to the following
   question. (Remember, BootEasy is already located on wd0 form 2.1.5)
9) Created the neccessary partitions using the auto option, resulting in
     wd2s1a   /      32MB UFS Y
     wd2s1b   swap   73MB SWAP
     wd2s1e   /var   30MB UFS Y
     wd2s1f   /usr 1878MB UFS Y
10)Selected the X-User distribution set
10.1) Added all but the PC98 X servers
11)Did _not_ install the DES crypto libs
12)Answered YES, thus installed the ports collection
13)Finally, I commited the installation selections by pressing "yes" in the
   final warning screen.

=====
On tty2, there was a warning:
-- Warning: 3936 sector in last cylinder unallocated
Why?

=====
After a long wait and a lot of lines about the files currently installed,
another warning is issued:
WARNING: local host name () is not qualified; fix $j in config file
What's this about?

=====
Some missing directies are created then (/games, /obj,...)

On tty1, the "Congratulations..." screen waits. Proceeding to network
configuration: Selecting

   ed1 (WD/SMC 80xx; Novell NE1000/2000;...

Defined host, domain, gateway, name server, IP addr, netmask, no extra options.
(Yes, the values are checked and double-checked, and run without any hiccup
on the 2.1.5 system)

Anserwed NO to bring ed1 up now, since no network is available at this moment.

IP gateway switched off. No anonymous ftp connections -- it's a standalone
config. No NFS server nor client.

Console settings:
  Font:   IBM 850
  Keymap: German CP850
  Repeat: Default
  Saver:  Daemon
  Screenmap: none

Time Zone: CEST (Central European Summer Time)
  Clock is NOT set to UTC
Serial mouse on Com1

X Server Config:
  xf86Setup displays the following error messages on tty2:
    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
     (8 times, then:)
    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61

Did NOT browse the ports collection.

Added a 'luser' groupe and a new user account for me.

Set the root passwd

Registered, but did not send the registration, since the machine is offline.
Did not visit the general configuration menu again, then exited the
installation.

=====
The system rebooted. BootEasy showed F5 to switch to the second IDE master.
The system switched to the second IDE disk. Now the relevant boot messages:

(sorry, I could not figure out how to scroll back to top of screen)
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL640A>
wd0: 612MB (1253952 sectors), 1244 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <ST32122A>
wd2: 2014MB (4124736 sectors), 4092 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd1a          <===== WHY? Isn't wd2 correct? ========
panic: cannot mount root              <===== OOOOOOPS! ======================
syncing disks... done

So what's causing my problem? Any hints welcome. One additional problem:
the machine is offline and must remain offline, thus internet is NOT
reachable -- everything must down via floppy or CD-ROM.

Thanks in advance
-Christoph Sold

P.S: If this goes out with cryptic MIME parts again, please accept my
apologies. I did try my best to avoid them.