Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:27:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>

> GENERAL FREEBSD_QUESTIONS USAGE NOTE:
> You should search for this message in the mail archives before sending
> it to 50,000 people or so via email; this subject has been discussed ad
> nauseum.

I couldn't agree with you more, however, having asked this particular
question myself, and other equally overasked questions, I think we should
address what I see as the problem.

When you look around on the FreeBSD sites for help, the mailing lists,
especially "questions" are put forward as the primary support while the
"search the archives" option is more of an aside. Maybe it should be
stressed on this page that you CAN ask on questions for help (as we're
such a friendly bunch of people), but FIRST one should search the archive
to see if it's been asked before. (and answered)

Also maybe we should try and encourage people to have more relevant
subject lines to make the search option a little more friendly.

just my 2 cents worth

Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au