Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with I/O optimization with object

While studying the file ufs_readwrite.c, I see routines like uiomoveco()
that calls vm_uiomove() in vm_map.c.  I am almost sure that these are new
in FreeBSD 3.x. The comment in ffs_read() says "not a VM based I/O
requests"  == "not headed for the buffer cache". This does not make sense
to me although I understand something about VMIO buffers and non-VMIO
buffers. I hope someone can explain the basic ideas of I/O optimization
with VM object (relating to the OBJ_OPT flag and the global variable
vfs_ioopt) so that I can understand the code easier.

Any help is appreciated.