Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:39:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Subject:   Re: kernel crashes and portupgrade

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 04:28 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I just had one running /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb from kde as
> > root. I cvsuped, updated the system, and tried it from the command
> > line and had no problem. I am just letting it sit with kde running
> > and setiathome.
>
> If you are panic'ing, and it's repeatable, then you should
> minimally post:
>
> 1)	The panic message, with the registers, etc. (e.g. "page
> 	fault in kernel mode; Trap 12", etc.).

This is going to take longer than I thought. I get the message

dev=ad0s3e block=567360, fs=/var
panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block

syncing disks, buffers remaing... panic: bremfree: removing a buffer not
on a queue

To force it, all I had to do is update the locate.db twice and then ran
startx. I received the above message immediately.

The system was fsck'ed from single user mode after all panics and then,
the last 2 were booted to

FreeBSD opal 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #13: Wed Apr 30 19:40:40
PDT 2003     root@opal:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OPAL  i386

This is a really clean system and has never been setup to produce debug
results. I will have to do that first. I thought I had created a debug
kernel but that didn't work. I have some reading to do first.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA