Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:35:42 -0500
From:      "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs question

Doug Barton wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> I maintain a local repo of the via the cvs mode of cvsup.   When I
>> do a:
>
> What command did you use to check out the files, and what tree are
> you talking about?

cvsup -h cvsup9.us.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile
cd /usr/src
cvs -q -d /home/ncvs update
cd /usr/ports
cvs -q -d /home/ncvs update

The problem showed up specifically when the above failed to add
src/sys/dev/sf/* but the makefiles where updated to ref it.

>> cvs -q -d /home/ncvs update
>>
>> It will update any modified files but will not add any new files
>
> When you say "new files" do you really mean new directories? If a
> new directory is added to the tree, you need to use 'update -d' to
> get it in your working copy. Otherwise cvs will add new files in
> existing directories by default, so if that's not happening for you,
> something is wrong.

Someone one else suggested adding the -d and it seems to work fine.

>> (it
>> removes stale ones), but if I do a checkout it overwrites my local
>> modifications...
>
> If that is actually happening, you've done something really wrong,
> since that is not what cvs does by default.

Here goes the entire setup procedure I used (it is the very first
thing I did on the machine after installing the base system [from dist
cd]):

pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
mkdir /home/ncvs
cvsup -h cvsup9.us.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile
cd /usr
cvs -q -d /home/ncvs checkout src ports doc www
pkg_delete cvsup-without-gui     (I later re-add as a port not as a
package)